Cannabidiol oil, commonly referred to as CBD oil is gaining a lot popularity in the world of medicine and a lot of Canadians are using it. The oil has proven to have numerous therapeutic benefits to its users and hence its fame. Some rub the oil on their arching joints and others put a few drops beneath the tongue to help them get some good sleep. And even though it is obtained from the marijuana plant, it does not have any mind-altering effects.
The definition of CBD Oil
CBD is one of the compounds of the cannabis aka marijuana plant. The cannabis plant contains more than 100 cannabinoids, and the two dominant ones are THC (tetrahydrocannabidiol) and CBD (cannabidiol).
CBD oil is an extract of the cannabis plant. It differs from regular cannabis oil in the sense that it does not cause a “high”. This is due to that fact that the oil does not contain any THC (the psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant known to cause “highness”). Instead, it influences the secretion as well as the uptake neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, resulting to numerous therapeutic benefits. In fact, majority of the cannabidiol products available on the market are obtained from hemp; a strain of the marijuana plant with lower levels of THC.
What Health Conditions can CBD Oil treat?
- Multiple sclerosis: There is proof that Sativex, a prescription-only nasal product featuring both Cannabidiol and 9-delta-THC, is quite effective in alleviating pain and improving muscle-tightness together with the frequency of urination in individuals suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- Childhood epilepsy: CBD’s anti-seizure properties have been found to be successful in treating drug-resistant kids suffering from neurological disorders such as epilepsy. According to a particular research that was published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the frequency of seizures was reduced by 23% compared to those taking a placebo.
- Depression and anxiety: The oil is useful in the treatment of both anxiety and depression. It has been found to decrease the anxiety and stress levels of those people suffering from conditions like obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder, and even PTSD. In addition, CBD reduces depression through improving both glutamate and serotonergic cortical signaling.
- Chronic inflammation: Chronic inflammation is currently a serious issue that contributes to several non-infectious illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease. Research has found that Cannabidiol oil is very effective in reducing inflammation.
- Schizophrenia: This is a very serious and complicated illness that is usually managed by therapy and medicinal drugs that have heavy side effects. CBD oil, on the other hand, has been found to help reduce hallucinations. According to research, the oil is effective and safe for the treatment of psychosis.
- Cardiovascular diseases: Cardiovascular diseases are among the top causes of death in the world today. Living a healthy lifestyle is one of the leading priorities for heart health, but Cannabidiol oil can assist too. According to studies, the oil reduces blockage of the arteries and blood pressure. It might also lower cholesterol.
- Skin conditions: This natural supplement can be used in the topical treatment of various skin conditions. Studies reveal that skin conditions such as eczema can be treated by the oil through facilitating the death of abnormal cells. On top of this, CBD contains nutrients like vitamin E, which protect and improve the skin.
- Insomnia: According to various research, taking cannabidiol before going to bed has been found to improve sleep. People suffering from insomnia could greatly benefit from this.
- Parkinson’s disease: According to various research, the daily consumption of cannabidiol for four weeks significantly improves the psychotic symptoms in individuals suffering from Parkinson’s disease.
- Cancer: The future of CBD oil in the treatment of cancer is quite promising. The oil has been found to slow down the growth as well the spread of come types of cancer. What’s more, it is quite effective in relieving some of the negative effects of chemotherapy in cancer treatment such as vomiting and nausea.
Are there any adverse effects?
There are a few adverse effects associated with CBD oil in spite of its numerous benefits. They include vomiting, a dry mouth, diarrhea, dizziness, psychosis, depression, and nausea. These effects might be experienced by some users while others might not. Remember, our bodies are not the same and that different people react differently to different drugs.
Where can you get CBD Oil?
There are several online sites that sell cannabidiol oil in the country. However, for you to purchase the oil, you must have a prescription. You first need to show that your prescription is genuine in order to have your product shipped to your address. Apart from online stores, the oil can also be found in brick-and-mortar dispensaries.
The 5 Best Brands
The company produces CBD oil that is 99.9 percent pure, THC free, and completely natural. Their products are safe, pure and consistent. It is, in fact one of the top brands in the market. Every bottle of Koi Naturals is packed with flavor and is just the perfect natural supplement to keep you healthy.
All of their marijuana oil come in five different strengths, two sizes, and four delicious flavors to pick from. Additionally, their products feature a variety of useful cannabinoids such as CBG, CBDV, and CBD that complement one another to help give you utmost relief. And to get the most out of their oil, hold it under the tongue for about a minute before swallowing.
Price range: $39.99 – $319.97
These drops are made with the company’s best-selling Gold Formula. They are one of the most effective CBD hemp oil supplements. They offer an easy way of enjoying the benefits of cannabidiol. Their oil is formatted into a variety of products such as capsules, tinctures, and topical as well as concentrated oils. The amount of cannabinoids present in each of the formats is different.
Among the badges mentioned in the company is quality verification. Plus CBD utilizes hemp that is rich in nutrients and quality in the manufacture of its oils. This ensures nothing but the production of high quality products. Also, this particular brand has been found to be quite effective in relieving chronic pain and anxiety.
Price range: $25 – $390
The company uses industrial hemp cultivated in Colorado in the manufacture of their oil. The hemp plant is naturally grown, without ant herbicides or pesticides. In addition, the hemp plant they use has been specifically chosen due its high cannabidiol content.
Every batch produced is subjected to third-party lab testing in order to guarantee quality to its consumers. Their oil does not contain THC, meaning that it will not leave you with a “high” or a feeling of intoxication. Instead, the oil features naturally occurring terpenes and other cannabinoids that enhance your overall well-being. The company adheres to strict production rules and guidelines and is quite strict when it comes to quality control.
Their oil is effective in treating anxiety and depression as well as insomnia. Other users also mention that it is best for treating severe pain. The oil is available in three sizes, 100mg, 300mg, and 600mg.
Price range: $29.99 – $99.99
Purchasing your cannabidiol oil from CBDfx ensures that you are getting a remarkably high quality blend of medium-chain trigylcerides (MCTs) and hemp oil that is delicious. This is, in fact, one of the things that makes this brand stand out from the rest, its great taste.
Their drops are obtained from organically cultivated hemp plants and are 100 percent vegan. The company then applies the CO2 method of extraction, which is safe and pure, in the production of its products. All their products, including the cannabis oil, are CGMP certified and undergo checking at the pharmaceutical-grade and FDA-registered facilities. And the best part of all is that their tinctures are available in varying dosage strengths, allowing you to have absolute control over the dosage consumed.
Price range: $74.99 – $174.99
This brand is famous for its consistency in quality. All its products are subjected to extensive quality checks by advanced HPLC equipment and are tested in a GMP certified facility in Florida. And compared to its competitors, the cannabis oil produced by the company are 80 percent pure. The oil is made from organic hemp cultivated in the United Stated and contains absolutely no trace of THC. The oil is available in three sizes; 500mg, 750mg, and 1500mg bottles.
People enjoy shopping from this company because it offers discounts for products purchased in bulk. In fact, Verified CBD has a 71 percent reorder rate.
Price range: $43.95 – $129.95
The best product
Our top pick is CBDPure and this is why. The industrial hemp used by the company in the production of hemp oil is cultivated and manufactured in one of the best conditions compared to its competitors. What’s more, the oil also has a nice taste when compared to its counterparts. Last but not least, a lot of people are drawn to this particular because of its affordability. You can get your CBD oil from as low as $29.99 dollars.
Is this stuff legal in Canada?
According to the Access to Cannabis for Medicinal Purposes Regulations, cannabidiol obtained from marijuana is legal in the country for registered medicinal patients with permission from licensed healthcare practitioners. Additionally, registered medical patients can only buy their cannabidiol products from licensed cannabis vendors. This is, however, expected to change as soon as The Cannabis Act is implemented. The ACT will allow CBD to be legal for all; both medicinal patients and anyone else who wishes to use it.
Also, the government’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHPR) approved the use of cannabinoid as a medicine.
The mechanics behind the substance
Cannabidiol can be classified as a pleiotropic drug; it produces several effects through numerous molecular channels. More than 65 molecular targets of the compound have been identified by scientific literature.
The effects of the compound come down to the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). The system is basically a network of 5-HT receptors which play a huge role in maintain the body’s homeostasis (balance). It determines how cannabinoids are processed and used in the body. CBD interacts with the system’s receptors, mainly CB1 and CB2 found in the brain and immune cells respectively. And even though cannabidiol does not directly interact with these particular receptors, it indirectly interacts with them and controls several ion pathways and non-cannabinoid receptors.
How it works in the body
The effects of cannabinoids on the human body are broad and varied. The ECS acts as a master regulatory mechanism responsible for maintaining homeostasis in the body in the face of both external and internal stressors.
CBD works through a system of receptors that are found on the surface of cells all through the body; from the brain to the guts and everywhere in between. It also interacts with other systems in the body such as vanilloid and serotonin systems to produce some of its associated therapeutic effects.
How it works in the brain
Situated in the brain are a huge number of specialized cells referred to as neurons. Every neuron connects to several others via structures known as synapses. These are basically points where one neuron communicated to the other through the release of chemical messengers called neurotransmitters.
The sensitivity of a neuron to a particular neurotransmitter is dependent on whether or not it has a receptor which “matches” that particular transmitter. If a neuron features receptors that fit a certain neurotransmitter (like an electrical socket and plug), then it is capable of directly responding to that transmitter.
Apart from being sensitive to neurotransmitters naturally secreted within the brain such as serotonin and dopamine, brain receptors are also sensitive to chemical receptors produces outside the body like CBD and THC. So, when one consumes an edible form of cannabinoid, it travels through the bloodstream and eventually gets to the brain. Once at the brain, these plant-obtained compounds could influence you’re the brain’s activity through interacting with receptors. However, they will not react with all neurons, only the ones with appropriate receptors.